Tuesday, April 22, 2014

To The Test

This morning my third grader had a little apprehension leaving for school.  You see, this is her first time taking the STAAR test.  So much has been made about this test, it’s significance, what it says about the teacher, what it says about the student, what it means if you don’t do well.  If tests don’t already give you the heebie geebies, the importance placed on this one test would surely make your knees wobble a bit!  I understand the need to get a good night’s rest before a long test, to eat a plentiful breakfast before engaging your brain, to bring an extra pencil – those are all good habits to prepare for any big day.  My problem is when you turn the promotion of good habits into all-out fear mongering.  Yes, this test is important.  Yes, this test has consequences.  But, the need for our kids to do well shouldn’t rest on the 4 days a year when they sit down to several hours of standardized testing.  Growing up, I was told it was important to do my best on every assignment.   I made my best efforts to get an A on my math homework and my weekly spelling test just as much as I did to score well on music assignments and physical aptitude tests in P.E.!  When it came time to take state tests, my teachers emphasized that they were assessments of all of the material we had already mastered throughout the year.   There were no pep rallies planned to send us off, like we were going into battle.  We didn’t designate a portion of each class period to practice taking the test every day.  Fear was not a factor.

Dear Lord, as our kids head to school this week to be assessed, I hope for their reassurance.  I pray that each of them will walk to class with confidence in their ability and with faith in you God, that you will give them comfort and steady their nerves.  I pray they are rested and nourished, that their teachers and parents have done well in preparing them for the next school year and that this will be evident in their assessment this week.


Joshua 1:9 – Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment