Saturday, December 20, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Today, like many of you, I’ll set out to finish up some Christmas shopping.  I love to shop and Christmas shopping is even better.  The crowds are big, the decorations are up, the music is playing and everyone is out there thinking of how to put a smile on the face of someone they love!  Sure, the parking is a challenge, lines are long and some people get grouchy – but there are some benefits to these things too.  When we park far, I get to hold hands and snuggle with my sweetie while we take the long chilly walk from the car to the door.  When we’re in line, I meet other people and make small talk or I get to have uninterrupted conversations with my shopping buddy.  And the best part is when people are grumpy I get to really exercise spreading peace and joy by smiling, holding doors open, being helpful and wishing EVERYONE a Merry Christmas.  I really do love wishing strangers a Merry Christmas.  For whatever reason, it is always met with that unexpected expression – surprise.  It’s like the look I aim for when my loved ones open my gifts for them on Christmas morning.  It really is the best.

Jesus is and will always be the best gift we’ve ever received.  I mean, who isn’t warmed at the sight of a baby?  The story of His birth is beautiful and captivating – but that’s not even the half of it.  Jesus became a teacher and a healer all before giving His own beautiful life to save ours.  It’s important that we look at this on an extremely personal and intimate level.  Think of what Christ endured at His death and know that He did this just for you.  Not for millions, but for you – just you.  Wow.  Now think of your loved ones and that the crucifixion happened for each of them.  And then try to imagine the love that it would take you to do that for some one person that you loved.  Now imagine further how much love it would take to do that for one person that didn’t treat you with love or respect or perhaps didn’t acknowledge you or worse denied you.  It is quite a love, right?  So this is God’s love for each one of us individually, that He would sacrifice His son.  And the love of Jesus, that He would submit himself to that kind of death for each one of us.  This is why Christmas is special.  This is why gifts of peace and joy are important at Christmas.  By spreading these to strangers, I get to sprinkle some of God’s love on them to feel and see.  I literally get to celebrate the birth of my Savior – our Savior – every time I wish someone a Merry Christmas.


Now days there is a lot of worry put on offending people by using the word Christmas at this time of year.  To that I say this:  People are born.  The day they are born is called a birthday.  Even non-Christians believe Jesus was a real person.  Christmas is His birthday.  You don’t have to believe He is who He is to recognize his birthday.  You don’t have to believe in Him at all, He’s proven that already.  He already died for your friends, your family, your neighbors and yes, even for you knowing full well you would never believe in Him or love Him.  As for me and my family we will celebrate, we will spread the joy that only God could give us and we wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment